"So, what can I do with the content on this site?"
First, read the Creative Commons License here.
Second, understand that all original media on this site is treated the same whether it is Photos, Video, Art, Music, etc...
If that doesn't answer your question here are some FAQ:
1. Can I download and post photos on this site on my personal myspace, facebook, twitter, etc.?
Yes, as long as the post is for personal use you can.
2. So, I'm a DJ/Band I can put the photos on my personal Facebook, etc. what about my DJ/Band site?
Yes, you can. you do however need to keep the watermark and cropping in tact.
3. I purchased a photo on your site for digital download, I can use it for whatever right?
Depends, If it was the personal use Digital Download then you may use it under the same terms as #1, except it doesn't have that ugly turbo.fm logo on it. If you use a personal digitial download for ANY commercial purpose without consent that is not OK. If you purchased the COMMERCIAL USE digital download it does not come with ALL UNRESTRICTED USES see the following:
Commercial Use License for Digital Downloads
What you can do: turbo.fm grants you a perpetual, non-exclusive, non-transferable, worldwide license to use this image for permitted commercial purposes, defined as:
• advertising, promotion, brochures, packaging
• as part of a commercial website for promotional purposes (maximum 800x600pixels) use
• prints, posters, flyers, tearsheets for promotional purposes (not for resale)
• prints, posters, or other commercial display of image
• magazines, books, newspapers, other printed publications
• video, broadcast, theatrical
What you may not do: Buyer may not resell, relicense, redistribute without express written permission from turbo.fm. Use as a derivative work, and reselling or redistributing such derivative work is prohibited. Images may not be used in a pornographic, obscene, illegal, immoral, libelous or defamatory manner. Images may not be incorporated into trademarks, logos, or service marks. Image may not be made available for download.
turbo.fm retains all rights, license, copyright, title and ownership of the image(s).
4. You were hired by the bar/promoter/event, can't I just ask the bar for the photos and bypass you entirely? They hired you and you are "work for hire" so they own all your media.
Most likely not, Turbo.fm is beyond a "photographer for hire" most of the events that are covered are under the Turbo moniker. This is similar to a DJ booking. Just because a DJ is hired to perform at a bar does not imply or grant the bar the right to record the DJ's set and sell it as an exclusive live set. There may be RARE cases where this is true but it most likely would be outlined in the contract and would NEVER grant complete and total rights (especially including assigning those rights to a third party).Turbo.fm's specific terms and conditions for the media are between its clients and the site.
5. But only the Bar/promoter logo is on there... there is no mention of you or your site. What can I do with those?
If it is on the site it is protected by the same rights as all photos on the site. See Above.
6. I'm a member of the press (or think I am) what can I use your photo for?
There is a 4 point test for editorial uses, and the rules can be found here. But basically, if you are running an editorial page/site/publication its just good business to contact us regarding photos and media. We would love to hear about any publicity out there, positive or not. In all editorial cases attribution must be made.
7. This sounds allot like Metallica V. Napster in the late 90's aren't you being a little picky!?!
Turbo.fm strives to deliver original and unique content. In order to do this I needs to protect it's originality and exclusivity. Without this protection there would be no way to monetize the site and it would fail and we could no longer bring you fresh content.
8. You have RSS feeds of your content and I have an Blog Aggregator similar to Hype Machine, can I use your feed without permission?
We'd love to be listed on a blog aggregator, let's talk about how you will use the feed. Again, because content or a Feed is provided on the site does not mean it is free to use in any manner. If you have a site you'd like to include our feed on please let us know and we can work something out.
9. It's my image, you cant use it!
As a courtesy, if there is an image of you (photo or video) taken and you'd like it removed please contact us. Generally, posing for a picture in a public place (or a place that is open to the public) is granting certain rights. This is a very sensitive topic and there are pages and pages of debate on the internet. If you are really concerned please ask if/where the photos will be posted BEFORE you take the picture.
10. Music and Photos are not the same. How can you just lump them all together into one license?
ALL content, including written content, on the site is protected under the Creative Commons License. There are no if's ands or buts.
11. So you are saying you own the music tracks? You are a photographer.
No, what it does say is that you may use it as outlined in the CCL. Because our published content is made with an agreement with the artists it is covered by the same blanket as the general CCL.
12. So what you are saying is to just contact you if we want to use media for something beyond personal use.